In a move to revolutionize healthcare access in Pakistan, the Sehat Card Program was launched during the tenure of former Prime Minister Imran Khan. This initiative has transformed the way health services are delivered to the people. The Sehat Card offers a promising avenue to receive essential medical care, ensuring that your well-being is within your reach. In this article, we will delve into the details of this program, how it works, and the recent developments regarding its accessibility.
The Birth of Sehat Card Program
The Sehat Card Program came into being with the vision of providing every Pakistani with the opportunity to access quality healthcare. This program is a significant step forward in bridging the healthcare gap that has long plagued the nation. With a Sehat Card in your possession, you can walk into any hospital and receive treatment, free of cost.
The Changing Landscape
Initially, the Sehat Card allowed beneficiaries to avail treatment for various health conditions, including cardiac surgeries, without any additional costs. However, there have been recent changes in the program’s offerings. It has come to light that the Sehat Card is no longer an entirely free pass to healthcare services.
The 30% Fee
To continue benefiting from the Sehat Card, individuals must be prepared to pay a 30% fee. This fee applies to anyone wishing to utilize the card for their medical needs. This shift has implications for those who had grown accustomed to the card’s previous comprehensive coverage.
Health Card vs. Benazir Income Support Program
The 30% fee for the Sehat Card is an adjustment that brings it closer in alignment with the Benazir Income Support Program. This financial commitment is now a prerequisite for those seeking treatment through the card. To clarify, this fee is only payable after you have undergone medical treatment at a hospital.
The Unveiling of the 30% Fee
The introduction of a 30% fee on health cards has raised several questions and concerns. Cardiac and maternity treatments have been affected by these recent developments. While previously covered under the program, they have now been excluded from the list of services available. In addition, various surgical procedures have also been temporarily suspended.
The Role of Insurance Companies
Insurance companies have played a pivotal role in conveying these changes to the public. Hospitals have been informed that treatment facilities covered by the Sehat Card will not be accessible after July 1. Moreover, private hospitals will no longer receive reimbursements for their services, thus increasing the financial burden on patients.
State Life Insurance Company’s Stand
The State Life Insurance Company has taken a stance of non-payment for normal delivery and C-section procedures. In addition, an extra 30% fee is being imposed by the Punjab government on Sehat Insaf cardholders. This shift further complicates the financial aspects of healthcare in Pakistan.
While these changes may seem daunting, it is essential to understand the eligibility criteria for the Sehat Card Program. The program aims to provide free treatment to those who genuinely need it. To be eligible, you must meet the following conditions:
- Belong to a family with a monthly income of less than 20,000 rupees.
- Have not traveled abroad.
- Belong to a family that uses minimal monthly electricity, with an electricity bill of less than 8,000 rupees.
Meeting these criteria ensures you will receive the care you need without the 30% fee burden.
Check Your Eligibility
To determine if you meet the eligibility requirements, you can simply send an SMS with your National Identity Card number to 8500. After a brief wait, you will receive a confirmation SMS informing you of your eligibility status.
In conclusion, the Sehat Card Program remains a valuable resource for accessing healthcare in Pakistan. While it has seen changes in recent times, it still offers a lifeline to those in need. By understanding the eligibility criteria and the associated fees, you can make the most of this program and secure your health. Remember, your health is your wealth.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Sehat Card Program? The Sehat Card Program is a government initiative in Pakistan that provides individuals with access to free healthcare services at designated hospitals. However, recent changes have introduced a 30% fee for cardholders.
- What medical treatments are covered by the Sehat Card? Initially, the Sehat Card covered a wide range of medical treatments, including cardiac surgeries and maternity care. However, some services have been suspended, and a 30% fee is now required.
- What is the Benazir Income Support Program, and how does it relate to the Sehat Card? The Benazir Income Support Program is a government assistance program. The Sehat Card’s recent 30% fee is a move to align it with this program in terms of financial commitments for beneficiaries.
- How can I check if I am eligible for the Sehat Card? To check your eligibility, you can send an SMS with your National Identity Card number to 8500. You will receive a confirmation SMS indicating your eligibility status.
- What should I do if I am eligible for the Sehat Card? If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can benefit from the Sehat Card Program. Keep in mind that a 30% fee applies, but you can still access essential healthcare services.
BISP Basic Information Required
|Benazir Income Support Program, Block F, Pak Secretariat, Islamabad, Pakistan
|Registration Document Required
|CNIC, B-Forms, Mobile No, Gas/Electricity Bill, Home Rent Agreement if Available.